Jacksonville Transportation Authority sheds old definition of ‘public transportation'
As commuting by car grows more daunting by the day, the Jacksonville Transportation Authority (JTA) is poised to provide the greater Jacksonville area’s traveling public with award-winning, sustainable, and innovative mobility services and connectivity no matter how they choose to travel.
Far beyond the buses, bridges and highways that provide thousands of daily passengers with reliable transportation, today’s JTA also strives to offer custom experiences for commuters by providing safe, reliable, efficient, and sustainable transportation services and facilities. The JTA continuously finds new ways to improve the quality of life for riders, with cutting-edge payment systems, ridership pilot programs, improved infrastructure, transit-oriented development support, and transportation technologies.
The JTA is also at the forefront of innovation with the development of the Ultimate Urban Circulator Autonomous Vehicle program, which will deploy electric AVs in Downtown Jacksonville in the coming years. Phase I, the Bay Street Innovation Corridor, is already in development with the support of federal, state and local funding.
Not your grandparents’ transit provider
Today’s JTA is also nothing if not truly “multi-modal,” and that means there’s likely a transportation option for commuters. The JTA takes pride in serving Jacksonville, the largest city by square miles in the U.S., and a greater Northeast Florida service territory of more than 1,000 square miles.
In addition to its standard, fixed-route bus service, modern-day transit services from the JTA include:
- The FIRST COAST FLYER, a premium, 58-mile bus rapid transit system;
- The SKYWAY, a 2.5-mile automated people mover that’s especially popular on holidays;
- The newly upgraded ST. JOHNS RIVER FERRY;
- EXPRESS SELECT, offering executive-style rides from Clay, St. Johns and Nassau counties to Downtown’s Jacksonville Regional Transportation Center at LaVilla;
- READIRIDE, providing affordable, on-call transportation in 13 Jacksonville communities; and
- CONNEXION and CONNEXION PLUS, paratransit services for transportation-disadvantaged commuters and qualified riders with disabilities.
Just like Jacksonville itself, the JTA continues to evolve, with new services, amenities, and infrastructure enhancements to make mobility convenient and connectivity easy throughout the system’s network.