Citrus • Hernando • Hillsborough • Manatee • Pasco • Pinellas • Polk • Sarasota
If asked to name Tampa Bay’s top industries, would you think to include manufacturing near the top? If not, you should. At 67,830, Tampa Bay is second only to Miami-Fort Lauderdale for manufacturing employment. And this sector is growing.
• Tampa Tank-Florida Structural Steel has announced plans to expand its Tampa headquarters located in Gibsonton with a $3-million investment in new equipment and the addition of 60 new jobs for welders, fitters, machinists and equipment operators by the end of 2022.
• Austrian-based RHI Magnesita, an international supplier of refractory products — materials that can withstand extreme heat in manufacturing — has announced plans to open a regional headquarters in Tampa.
KEY PLAYERS: Advanced Airfoil Components, Gibsonton; CAE USA, Tampa; Jabil, St. Petersburg
Innovation & Technology
To call technology a “booming industry sector” in Tampa Bay would be a gross understatement. This region boasts the second largest IT employment in Florida and it’s growing. In fact, so many new tech companies have found homes in this region, one has to wonder … can we make room for more? Absolutely!
Recent growth in this thriving sector includes:
• TheIncLab, a data visualization and artificial intelligence firm that relocated from Washington, D.C., to Tampa in 2020, has expanded its headquarters, adding 40 jobs in 2022 and moving from a 400-sq.-ft. space to 8,000 square feet in Ybor City.
• Boston-based cybersecurity analytics firm Rapid7 has opened its 10th U.S. office in Tampa at Sparkman Wharf with plans to hire 100+ workers.
• Shufflrr, a firm that develops marketing presentation software, has relocated from New York to Tampa with plans to create 30 jobs in sales, business development and account management over the next three years.
• IT firm Avanade, a provider of cloud and technology services to a variety of companies including Microsoft, has opened its first U.S. Engineering Hub in Tampa with plans to hire 500 software engineers over the next three years.
KEY PLAYERS: KnowBe4, Clearwater; ReliaQuest, Tampa; OPSWAT, Tampa