Orthopedic Leaders Advancing Care in Florida
As the region's largest orthopedic and sports medicine provider, Orlando Health Jewett Orthopedic Institute offers the most advanced orthopedic care to more than 250,000 patients each year.
With more than 60 physicians, this highly skilled, multidisciplinary team was created to deliver exceptional outcomes for even the most challenging and complex cases. Orthopedic surgeons and sports medicine physicians diagnose and treat conditions from concussions and spine injuries to foot and ankle fractures — and every joint in between. They also are experts in joint replacement, orthopedic trauma and bone health, and have a support system of specialists ready to assist in neurosurgery, musculoskeletal radiology, anesthesia and interventional pain.
This next-level care now comes with a state-of-the-art setting. The new Orlando Health Jewett Orthopedic Institute Downtown Complex offers an unparalleled model of orthopedic care in an all-inclusive environment. Expertise, technology and services come together under one roof and span the whole continuum of care — from prevention and diagnostics to therapeutic and surgical treatment options to physical therapy, rehabilitation and performance health. In addition to an advanced specialty hospital that incorporates education and research platforms, the complex includes a world-class medical pavilion with comprehensive outpatient services. In total, 375,000 square feet of space devoted to orthopedic and spine care will serve Central Florida, the Southeast region and beyond.
Formal relationships include:
- Official medical team for Orlando City, Orlando Pride, University of Central Florida athletics, Orlando Ballet and multiple other college and high school athletic teams
- Official healthcare provider of the Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by Mastercard®
- Official Central Florida Health Home of Special Olympics Florida
- Official healthcare partner for Topgolf in Orlando, Lake Mary and Tampa
The Orlando Health Jewett Orthopedic Institute Downtown Complex’s outpatient medical pavilion, which opened March 27, provides a full scope of outpatient services for orthopedic and sports medicine patients alike.
- Imaging services include an ultrafast MRI with augmented reality for enhanced patient comfort.
- The Eugene Jewett, MD, Surgery Center includes 12 operating rooms and nanoscope minimally invasive sports medicine technology.
- A 63-exam-room clinic houses three clinics — sports medicine, orthopedic trauma and general orthopedics — for scheduled and walk-in care.
- Physical therapy space features sports simulators and real-world playing surfaces to help get athletes back to playing form.
Orthopedic Specialty Hospital
Scheduled to open in August, the Orlando Health Jewett Orthopedic Institute Downtown Complex’s orthopedic specialty hospital is a showcase of technical and patient-experience innovations.
- The hospital houses 10 operating rooms, including four that virtually connect for training opportunities.
- All 75 private inpatient rooms incorporate smart-room technology with digital whiteboards for real-time updates, advanced video capabilities and voice-activated room controls.
- A state-of-the-art research and innovation center includes a 10-station bio skills lab and 3D printer.
- A large 116-seat auditorium provides ideal space for educational symposiums and conferences.
A Focus on Education
Three components of excellence converge to create an Orlando Health institute: excellence in patient care, teaching and research. And that triad works together. That means surgery is done by surgeons experienced in handling the most difficult cases. These same physicians also teach the next generation of doctors, and they do leading-edge clinical research. This research improves patient outcomes by developing better orthopedic and pain management techniques.
“If you have that in one facility, that’s an ideal situation for the patient,” says Dr. George Haidukewych, director of orthopedic trauma, chief of complex joint replacement and academic chairman of orthopedic faculty practice at Orlando Health Jewett Orthopedic Institute. “That’s the mecca of orthopedics in the Southeast. That’s what we’re striving to achieve with this institute.”
The Legacy Continues
Named for Dr. Eugene Jewett, the new surgery center continues the legacy of innovation and selfless devotion to medical advancement that characterized Dr. Jewett’s remarkable life.
Opening his office in Orlando in 1936, Dr. Jewett was known both as the humble doctor who made house calls with a portable X-ray machine and the skilled surgeon behind revolutionary hip nail and back brace inventions.
The Orlando Health Jewett Orthopedic Institute Downtown Complex enables his story to continue inspiring the healthcare professionals who practice and learn at the new facility.
For more information, visit OrlandoHealth.com/DowntownOrthoInstitute